It’s All About The Cup

I’m sure you’ve heard the story of the cup…

The Optimist says that his cup is half full.
The Pessimist says that his cup is half empty.
The engineer says that you just need a smaller cup.

It seems to be all about the cup…but not really. The cup is just the vessel that holds something else. Let’s go a bit deeper though, shall we. The cup being a vessel could symbolize a person. It could really be you. Actually, it is you. The story of the cup is all about you, and about your attitude towards life.

The Cup Half Empty

Here is a quote from Charles Swindoll…
Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it.

Have you ever thought about that? When you do, you tend to realize that quite often, little things in life control your attitude. For some people, the smallest of things can ruin their day. Their spouse may not look at them quite right, or a friend accidentally bumps into them at work…almost making them spill their coffee, or maybe… ______ (you fill in the blank).

The smallest of things tend to ruin a whole day for some people. Not only is their cup half empty, at times it appears that their cup is…just empty. Even if you try to fill it for them, they just won’t let you. I honestly believe that even God Almighty would have a bit of trouble pleasing this person, as perfection probably just isn’t quite good enough for them.

Look in the cup, is it half full or half empty?

The Cup Half Full

You just gotta love those people whose cup is half full. They usually have a smile on their face even in the worst of times. Very little seems to rattle these people. Do you know someone like that? I bet you do. I’ve actually known a couple of people who just hate to be around someone like this. You know what I mean don’t you? The cup half empty person seems to not like the cup half full person.

I’ve known a few people in life who are just jolly all the time. They are just so full of sunshine that it blinds those who love dark and gloomy days. And there really aren’t any shades that anyone can wear to keep the glare of that sunshine down. I’ve actually heard people say, “I can’t stand to be around that person, they are just bubbly all the time. I’ve always found that to be a bit shocking to hear, I love to be around bubbly people, they totally brighten my day.

The Engineers Cup

You really have to love this optimist. One way or another, this person is going to find a way to fill that cup up, even if they have to make it a bit smaller to do it. Yep, this person thinks outside the box, and nothing slows them down. The attitude is always positive and forward thinking. They are focused, and the job gets done. These people tend to make good employees. Every boss would love to have a productive happy person on staff. Actually, the boss would love to have a whole staff of people like that.

So how about it…life happens to you…so remember the quote, life is 10% what happens to you. The question is, how do you react. That is the other 90% of life. Is your cup half empty, or is it half full? But wait…you are the cup, right?



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

QR Code - Take this post Mobile!

Use this unique QR (Quick Response) code with your smart device. The code will save the url of this webpage to the device for mobile sharing and storage.

Speak Your Mind

*

Security Code:

Wordpress SEO Plugin by SEOPressor